Sunday, July 19, 2015

Power Of Knowing Who He Is



Key Scripture:  "Peter, who do you say that I am?"   Matthew 16:15
Power Point:
Jesus has a question that He always asks His "friends".  He needs them to realize who He really is to them.  I think He always does that immediately after He tells them who He is!  Then test of believing that quickly follows and Jesus looks us calmly in the eye and says, "Okay sweetheart, now who do you think that I am?  Who do you think I want to be for you in this situation?  What part of My character am I most longing to reveal to you here? What do you believe about who I have said that I am?"
     Almost always, as far as I can remember there is a pattern to my growing in faith.  I will find a promise from God about a certain situation and since I haven't really experienced the need for that promise yet, I take it as a "nice" word and tell my friends, who I am sure need it more than I do.  Then, following the promise, comes the Test of the Promise.  Whatever God has said, and Who I know Him to be will be tested, usually by the exact opposite thing happening in my life.  For example, I may have a promise that says "I will have NO lack. God provides all my needs."  I like that one. It sounds really good when you read it. Usually the next thing that happens is that I have a grand opportunity to experience LACK in some area.  Vaguely, I remember the promise from a few months ago, and begin to realize that it is exactly what I need to be thinking about and reminding God of right now.

     Usually the lack gets larger.  I copy my promise down and paste it on my bathroom mirror.  I listen to sermons on Lack.  They are lackluster.  I may be encouraged for the moment but when the lack continues, I tend to figure out my own solutions.  Ever been there?
     At some point the Holy Spirit will come alongside and begin to show me new things about Jesus-relating to the promise.  That's when Jesus Himself, shows up and asks that intriguing question:  "Who do You say that I am?" 
     When I began the journey TWO years ago to sell my house and buy a new one, I asked Jesus who He wanted to be for me in this situation?  He said, "PEACE!"  Lovely!  It sounded really good!  I had no idea how much I would need Him to be my peace during this process.  Today, another glitch popped up.  I heard Him say, "Suzanne, who do you say that I am?"  What?  Oh I remember now-PEACE!
     When I thank Him and think on His promises, His peace does come.  Usually it makes no sense because there is nothing that can bring me peace outwardly.  But when I abide in who He wants to be for me, it's simply there.  And when I am in His peace, I can hear Holy Spirit reveal to me secrets and plans and the hope that He has for me, if I know who He is.
     I've heard someone say, If Jesus is Lord, then HE is Lord over all your circumstances. That gives me peace. How about you?
Power Thought:
Who do YOU say that He is?











Copyright © 2015, Suzanne Roberts, Unpublished Work

No comments:

Post a Comment