Sunday, May 27, 2012

Power of Cheerleading For God


Key Scripture:  “Unbutton my lips, dear God; I'll let loose with your praise.” Psalm 51:15, The Message
Power Point:
My grandsons both play football. Their job is to do what they’ve been taught to do and my job as their Gami is to lead the cheerleading section. I’m very good at it.  I may not know what the play was supposed to be but I know that one of my grandsons was a part of it. That’s enough to prompt jumping up and down and cheering them on.
For most of my Christian life, I wasn’t that excited about Holy Spirit.  I really didn’t understand His “plays” and if I had been at a game I would have been the one sitting quietly on the sidelines just watching what was going on in the field.  About ten years ago all of that changed when I got to know Holy Spirit up close and personal. I began to understand that He really understood the game plan and how to execute the plays. I found that when I let Him take the lead, I always got where I was supposed to be going and learned a lot along the way.
I have discovered that God is always kind. That’s an amazing thing to know isn’t it?  I have discovered through the revelation of Holy Spirit that God is always good and not only works good things into our lives but plans good things for our future. That has changed my life. I hope it changes yours. You see, Beloved, if you don’t “learn” what you “read”, it won’t do you any good. When I was in high school and college I was very fortunate because I could memorize just about anything pretty quickly. It was a huge asset for final exams. The problem was that after the test, I couldn’t have told you one thing I had memorized. That’s exactly the picture I want to leave in your mind today. What God reveals to us is always for a purpose. He sends Holy Spirit to teach, guide, and reveal the truth to us that will bring heaven to earth, His plans into reality. They’re not just words on a page, they’re there to change our lives for the better. But like my ability to memorize facts, the Truth won’t do me a bit of good unless I make it a long-term study and begin to apply what I learn.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could “friend” God on Facebook? What if our “walls” were filled with photos of how good He has been in our lives? Wouldn’t it be amazing if every word we wrote on our site was a testimony of, and praises of our heavenly Father? Hmm.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could form a group called “Cheerleaders for God”? If every word out of our mouths was a word of enthusiastic praise for the God who is good enough to make everything in our lives better, and prosperous, and a blessing (even if it’s in disguise at the moment)?
As I am readying the Power UP! book to be published I have to write a “blurb” for the back cover. When I asked Holy Spirit about it, He said, “You are a cheerleader!” As I thought about it, I really am.  I am so enthusiastic and excited and usually jumping up and down over what I have learned about the goodness of God for His kids.
Will you join my group and be a cheerleader for Him?  Of course you will. Come ON!
Power Thought:
Rah, Rah, Sis Boom Bah!
God is great, Hallelujah!
Go team go! Unbutton your lips!

No comments:

Post a Comment