Monday, June 11, 2012

Power of a Liability

Key Scripture: "If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father.  He loves to help."  James 1:5
Power Point:
A liability is something that puts you at a disadvantage. For example if you want to buy a new house and you have a bad credit rating-that's a liability.
Or if you want to take an ocean voyage but you are subject to seasickness-thats a definite liability.
If we try to live the Christian life without the power of the Holy Spirit we are at a definite disadvantage, sort of like trying to drive a car with no gas in the tank. We can have the best of intentions but we won't be going anywhere until we get filled up. I can sit in my car in the garage all day long and not be able to move an inch until I put gas in my tank. The only other way I could get anywhere is by getting out and pushing- but I don't get very far because I'm not strong enough on my own. Doing things in my own power is a liability.
For many years I tried to live the Christian life without the proper fuel in my tank. I simply didn't understand that the Holy Spirit was there to help. I would screw up my courage or talk my will into having the power it needed and it might work for a period of time but "pushing" was hard! When  I learned the value of keeping my tank full of Spirit power what had been hard work before became much easier. When I learned that the Christian life was a partnership with Holy Spirit and that He intended to enjoy the journey it changed my whole outlook. 
Remember when Jesus said, "I only do the things I see My Father do and I only say the things I hear Him say"?  Jesus was never at a disadvantage was He?  That's because He knew the value of partnership with Holy Spirit. He never "pushed".  A tandem bike is a great picture of this.  Jesus knew that He, (yes, the Savior of the World) needed to sit on the back seat and let Holy Spirit take the lead. Do you remember when He would walk through the villages and hundreds of people would be holding out their hands for His touch? He knew exactly who to touch didn't He? He waited until He "saw" in His spirit what He was supposed to do next.
That really is the key to the successful Christian life Beloved.  It works best when you wait on Him each day to fill your tank. You listen to His instructions and then you go forward.  I know in my own life I spent many years marching off and then asking Holy Spirit to bless what I was doing instead of quietly waiting for His direction. I could have saved myself a whole lot of trouble if only I had taken advantage of the power that was in me.
If you do not want to be at a disadvantage in living the kingdom life, perhaps you would be better off learning to partner with the Power within you before you make a move anywhere. That's God's original intention so that you never need to "PUSH!" on your own.
Power Thought:
The Christian life was always meant to be an intimate partnership that goes somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment