Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Power Of Humility




Key Scripture  Clothe yourselves with humility.”  I Peter 5:5

Power Point

The word “clothe” is an interesting term. It was a word used to describe the scarf or apron of slaves. It was fastened to the belt of the vest and it was an immediate way to recognize a slave or a free person. When Peter says, “Gird yourself with humility”, He’s saying, gird yourselves with humility so that others can see that you are His servant. Slaves also used to wear “overalls” to keep themselves clean while working.  When people saw those overalls, they knew they were looking at a slave.

     As Christians, we are to submit to one another by wearing the same garment of humility that Jesus did. As we look at His life, it’s easy to see what real humility is. In Philippians 2, it describes His humility as taking the initiative to assign Himself a lower position. He behaved in an unassuming way. If you were talking to Jesus at a party, He probably was not trying to be the “life” of it. He probably was not telling people about how many people He had healed, or how many demons He had cast out that day. I believe Jesus was surrounded by people, who were talking and He was listening. He was asking His Father how He could help. When He did speak he spoke Truth that set them free. It was always about the Father.
     I recently cleaned out my closet. There, way in the back, I found my “humility overalls”. I’ve washed them and I’m ready to put them on so that I can keep myself clean as I work. I think that means that wherever I go and whatever I do, I do it for Jesus. I do it because of His humility in taking a lower position so that I might have a higher one. I guess it means I need to be ready to “lay down my life” for my friends. At least I won’t get dirty if I have on my overalls. A lot of people have designer outfits. The Master Designer designs this one specifically for His children. 


Power Thought:

The thing people need to hear is not the best about you, but the best about Him. For Jesus, it was never "all about Him".

No comments:

Post a Comment