Sunday, May 12, 2013

Power Of A Mother's Prayers





Key scripture: And Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart.”  Luke 2:19
Power Point:
     I was listening to a pastor describing the crucifixion recently. He commented on Jesus’ robe being bartered for while He hung on the cross.  The soldiers were casting lots for it. The pastor commented that it was probably blue and then he said, “It was probably made for Him by His mother.”  He said it must have been a cloak of high quality because it was seamless. And the very fact that they had not discarded it or torn it to shreds but were trying to get it for themselves is a thoughtful point. As Mary stood at Jesus feet, I imagine she was remembering the things she had pondered in her heart about Jesus’ destiny.
     When you think about it, Mary probably did make that cloak. From the moment He was born, she swaddled Him, covering Him.  As He grew she covered Him with clothes she had made for Him.  As an unmarried man, it’s not surprising that she would continue to provide a cloak for Him. And remember, she knew He was the Son of God. She knew His destiny. Blue would have been really appropriate. Blue represents the eternal presence of God.
     Today is Mother’s Day.  It’s a good time for each of us moms to look back at our “sons” (and daughters), and realize that from the time they were born, we have covered them.  As a young mother it was almost like continuing the game of “dress up” that I played with my dolls as a little girl.
     I remember one incident when my son, David, was about 2 years old. We were going to the circus and I had dressed him in a red and white romper. He didn’t like it. Yes, at 2.  He pitched a regular fit. Of course he had to lose that battle and he did wear it. But he didn’t like it! 
From the time they were born, I “covered” my children with coverings, just as God did with Adam and Eve when they left the Garden.  I always covered them with clothes, but from the time I became a Christian and Holy Spirit began to join me in my prayers, I have covered them with spiritual coverings as well. As He has helped me, I have learned to let my prayers ascend to the throne as a beautiful blue cloud of declarations of what God has promised me for them. I’ve learned to see them as He does and pray for them as He does. I present them as “sons” of the Most High God, covered with authority, power and all the privileges of their sonship. I declare over them what Holy Spirit declares.  I bless them. I pray for their purposes on this earth to be fulfilled.  And sometimes I have had to walk by faith and not sight.
     Mom-you may be in a place where you don’t “see” the results of your prayers but know this. As you pray for your children in company with the Holy Spirit, God hears you and is answering you.  As you pray, you are clothing them with robes of righteousness and with words of their destiny. You are releasing into their lives all that God has planned for them. Don’t yield to the temptation of listening to what the Enemy is telling you about them. Don’t declare what you see, but what God says. In Job 22, it says, “He will even deliver one who is not innocent. Yes. He will be delivered by the purity of your hands.” 

Here are some things you can declare over your “sons”:
-They will be mighty upon the earth.  The generation of the upright will be blessed!  Psalm 112:2
-The fruit of your body shall be blessed. Deuteronomy 28:4
-They shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.  Romans 8:21
-The seed of the righteous shall be delivered.  Prov. 11:21
-All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children.  Isaiah 54:13
-He will never leave them or abandon them. Hebrews 13:5
Just to name a few.
     Today, as you are pondering on the incredible gift of motherhood, know that your prayers for your children are delightful to Him. Remember that the fervent, effective prayers of a righteous mom have great power. They are a force to be reckoned with. Each prayer you pray is a covering over their lives. Each word you speak is a word that establishes their destiny as sons of God.
Just as God covered Adam and Eve, so do moms (and dads) cover their children as they go out into the world.  Just as Mary probably created that beautiful seamless cloak to cover Jesus from the elements, so do your prayers and your unconditional love cover your children.
     Be thankful for the privilege and know that He loves to give you the desires of your heart. And He knows every single one, especially for your children.
He’s busy working behind the scenes to make all things work together for good in each of our lives. You can count on that as you walk with Him and pray by faith.
Power Thought:
These are some interesting quotes on motherhood. Enjoy.

All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
Abraham Lincoln

No man succeeds without a good woman behind him. Wife or mother, if it is both, he is twice blessed indeed.
Godfrey Winn

My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw.  All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.
George Washington.

When your mother asks, “Do you want a piece of advice?” it is a mere formality. It doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no.  You’re going to get it anyway.”
Erma Bombeck

Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.
William Makepeace Thackeray

I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me.  They have clung to me all my life.
Abraham Lincoln.

My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.
Mark Twain

Only God Himself fully appreciates the influence of a Christian mother in the molding of character in her children.
Billy Graham

A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.
Victor Hugo

My mother taught me about the power of inspiration and courage, and she did it with a strength and a passion that I wish could be bottled.
Carly Fiorina

Yes mother.  I can see you are flawed.  You have not hidden it.  That is your greatest gift to me.
Alice Walker

There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mother’s love is peace.  It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.”

Erich Fromm

The mother’s heart is the child’s schoolroom
Henry Ward Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment