Thursday, April 10, 2014

Power Of The Power Of Forgiveness


Key Scripture:  "Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you."  Colossians 3:13, The Message
Power Point:
     We tend to remember too many bad things and forget the good things don't we?  This morning, I needed to forget  the "difficult" things that happened to me yesterday and then remind myself that even though it was a tough day, I ultimately picked the fruit of the Spirit.  I picked self-control and peace as my weapons of choice.
I was actually berating myself for taking longer than I liked but then I remembered that, after all, I did it! I remembered the Father's faithfulness. I remembered to use Jesus Name as my authority. And I remembered that the Holy Spirit in me was perfectly capable of turning the tables on the enemy. I love it when He does that!
I didn't forget my promises.  I'm pretty sure God was patient with how long it took me to respond rather than react. He simply chooses to remember that we had a great partnership and ultimately we won!
     He has forgotten all the stupid, negative, bad things I've done. In fact, He refuses to remember.  The problem is that we refuse to forget them at times, don't we? We refuse to forget our own shortcomings or those of others.  That's a problem.  We can't be filled with His Spirit if we refuse to forgive what others do, either knowingly or not. After all, forgiveness was the whole point of the Cross, wasn't it?   I seem to remember that the Cross was the best evidence of a forgiving heart and how extraordinarily huge it is. Forgiveness of ourselves and others is key to taking up your cross daily isn't it?
Jesus said, "Forgive others as I have forgiven you or Your Father in heaven won't forgive you."  So, if He forgives us and refuses to remember our sins, isn't that the best example of Jesus in us. Jesus gave everything so that we could live forgiven.  When we are forgiven we are one with our Father.  When we refuse to forgive, we end up estranged.
     
     When we don't act like Jesus;  when we don't offer what Jesus offers, then we don't have the 'nuts and bolts"of the kingdom in place. When we refuse to forgive, bitterness springs up; anger stirs up; self-righteousness soars; and we miss the mark.
We miss the mark of the high calling of Jesus. 
We miss the mark of the benefits of the cross for us. Jesus died to make us NEW.  We have been born AGAIN Beloved. We are completely new- extra-ordinarily NEW; a NEW creation that's never been seen before.
     A person who forgives is a person who refuses to allow the old ways to flourish anymore.  All things are NEW!
     I can remember growing up thinking that I was supposed to treasure and rehearse every single thing someone in my family did that was wrong.  There was always division of some sort. If our families are to be illustrations of God's family, then He simply cannot allow us to forget the principle of forgiveness.  Our relationship, our intimate relationship with Him depends on it. What was normal for me then, is not normal for me now. I'm choosing to be NEW!
     As we approach Easter, it seems to be a good time to remember that Easter is all about forgiveness; That wonderful overflowing, extra-ordinary forgiveness from Someone who gave His life to establish unity and love in our hearts. Forgiveness is a gift that Jesus has given us.  Will you give that gift to someone else today?
Power Thought:



No comments:

Post a Comment