Monday, June 9, 2014

Power Of Drawing Near


Key Scripture:  Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.”   James 4:7
Power Point:
     Resistance is something I’ve had to work at.  I recently started working out with a trainer, (Nicole), and a Muscle Activation Therapist, (Jennifer).  Over the years my muscles had begun to atrophy.  You couldn’t see it on the outside.  (I still had arms and legs, after all!) but right beneath the skin, years of poor nutrition and lack of exercise had begun to destroy my muscles. Gradually, walking became more and more difficult.  Opening jars became impossible.  Through a series of God events, I was led to Nicole and Jennifer. I tried exercises to increase strength, but though I had some success, I was still struggling.  My muscles needed to be re-connected to my brain after all this time. They were short-circuited! When Jennifer was added to “Team Roberts”, she began to activate those poor, tired, worn out, disconnected muscles again.  Much of that process involves resistance.  The proof of my increased strength is my ability to resist.
     “Resistance”.  Even the word makes me tired. It's usually hard work isn't it? There have been many times when I skipped over the first four words in the above scripture and went straight to “resisting the devil”.  Unfortunately since I hadn’t drawn near first, I was resisting in my own strength. That was tiring and ineffective. Sometimes I’ve been on the wrong side of the equation altogether and I’ve resisted God.  You probably know that that is not wise, because then God resists YOU!  That’s a really awkward place to be, just ask Jonah.
    The key to being able to resist, is tied up in first submitting yourself to God.  The term “submit” that James uses here means to arrange your troops in order under the command of the leader.  You can’t follow the Leader if you haven’t submitted to Him first.
     The word, “resist” means to withstand or oppose something or someone.  In other words, it’s going to take some thought and some action on your part. So many times over the years, I’ve received glorious strength from God’s word and then I am given the opportunity to walk it out. That means God will test the Word He has given you in order to strengthen it in you. I meet resistance. I can either “fold up my tent” and go back to bed, or I can put my feet in God’s footsteps and move on. That means that God Himself will strengthen me, Angels will work on my behalf and the Holy Spirit will encourage me at every step. 
    When the enemy comes against me, God is the Lifter of my head. I can resist the enemy when God lifts me up.
     When the enemy tempts me to doubt, I draw near to God and I resist the enemy.
     When the enemy tries to destroy my faith, I draw near to God and I resist the enemy.
     When the enemy is flooding the atmosphere around me with negative thoughts meant to steal my faith, I resist him, firm in my faith in the goodness of God for me.
    Beloved, faith always draws near to God first. No matter how strong you are, you must come under His leadership to effectively resist.

Power Thought:
 The proof of your increased strength is your ability to resist.












Copyright © 2014, Suzanne Roberts, Unpublished Work.

No comments:

Post a Comment