Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Power Of The Smell Test


Key Scripture:  “Unto me is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God.”   Luke 8:10
Power Point:
     I’ve always loved a good mystery. I’ve read every Agatha Christie novel. I LOVE watching mysteries on television. And I guess I really love figuring out the “mysteries” of God.  Being an analytical, I’m always trying to solve the mysteries of Who He really is and what He really has promised to me.
He has been a great partner in this adventure.  Why? Because He loves for us to search for Him.  He loves for us to uncover the secrets, the mysteries about Him. If He had told us everything about Himself at the very beginning, the journey would not have been nearly as much fun would it?
     I love looking back over my life and seeing a promise that He gave me at the beginning of my walk with Him spreading its wings in my life.  I love unwrapping and uncovering the mysterious ways in which He shows His faithfulness. I love opening the present of His Presence, pulling back the tissue paper and discovering something that is absolutely perfect for me that day. I love knowing that there is nothing mysterious about Him- but there is still a great deal that I don’t know.
     I’ve heard of people who don’t know Him who say to Him in desperation, “If You’re up there, PROVE IT!” In fact, I was one of them. I was a young mother, with a husband who traveled and a sick child. It was the wee hours of the
morning and my son was sick, again. I had no where to turn. The ear infection was back and my baby was crying. As I started to carry him downstairs, I tripped and sprained my ankle. I couldn’t go up and I couldn’t go down. It so happened that my mother-in-law was there and she quickly came to help. It was the last straw. I had had a nodding acquaintance with Him, but that night I was finally desperate to know if He really was there. People said He would help me. I needed to know if that was true.
I cried out, ”God, if you’re really up there, Prove it!”. 
     Within two week, my husband came home having had a personal encounter with God.  Everything about him was different. There was an “awe” in him. As he told me about his experience in a hotel room with the Holy Spirit, I could see that God was answering my prayer. He was “proving Himself.”  The mysteries of a God who wanted to be a part of our lives on an intimate, continual basis, was solved but not completed. Over the last 39 years He has continued to tell me His secrets. The more I ask, the more He tells me.  In James it says that “we do not have because we do not ask!” I asked and He answered. And He’s still answering.
      If you want to know more about God, then you will need to spend time in “The Secret Place."  Every day will become an adventure to look forward to as you discover more of His secrets. In the book of Malachi, He tells us to ask Him to "Prove it!"  
     God proves us too. He will put us to the test to see if we will do what He says, and believe what He says. In Deuteronomy 8, He reveals that He has tested the children of Israel for 40 years in order to make sure that their faith would pass the smell test! That’s actually one of the definitions of “prove” in the New Testament.  Does whatever we're doing   ga pass the smell test? God says, He proves us so that He can do good things for us. We prove Him so that we can be perfectly confident that His goodness is no longer a secret.
     In Romans 12:2, He tells us that renewing our minds and uncovering His Truths allow our lives to become living proof of His goodness toward us.
It is a journey, a process, and an adventure.
Are you ready to take it on? Are you ready to explore the goodness of God for yourself, and uncover the secrets He wants to tell you?
Are you ready to solve the mysteries of God?
Well, come ON!
Power Thought:
Does your faith pass the smell test? What is the proof that God is alive and well and active in your life? Is that an aroma of "faith" that I smell?




No comments:

Post a Comment