Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Power Of Friends


Key Scripture:  "A sweet friendship refreshes the soul."  Proverbs 27:6
Power Point:
   I have friends.  Most of the time I love them. At other times I have to remind myself that I love them.  Sometimes they annoy me. Sometimes I annoy them. I have a group of women who have met together every Tuesday afternoon for prayer and encouragement for nearly twenty years. I guess you could say we are "old" friends, "fast friends", "dear friends".  I know that if there was ever anything I needed and they could provide it, they would.  I know that in spite of their "few" flaws, they're seeking God with all their heart and always seeking the best for me in spite of my flaws.
 That's what friends do isn't it?  They are "there" for each other, wherever "there' is. 
     God called Abraham His friend.  Jesus calls us His friends. God spoke to Moses face to face as a friend.  He walked in the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve every single day, to talk with them.  He caught up on their activities, probably gave then a bit of advice, and just enjoyed their company.
     Friendship is priceless but it will always cost you something.  God has always wanted to be your "friend".  Whenever you read about the Covenant, the parties involved in the covenant are called "Friends". In the terms of covenant relationship, you offer to your "friend" all that you have and all that you will ever have.  It is a deeply committed relationship.  It is a "fast" friendship, tightly knit together by love, respect, and honor.
     Your Friend, Jesus, has vowed to love you forever. Your Friend, Jesus, has committed Himself in the extreme to your relationship.  Before He came to earth, we were like servants; people who obeyed but weren't connected with God. Then in John 15, Jesus says, "I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning.  No. I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from my Father."
     Jesus offers us friendship with God. Friendship, true friendship is a growing relationship.
My Tuesday friends have walked through a lot of issues together over 20 years, but because God is our BEST friend, He showed us how to be GOOD friends, even in rocky places.     
     If God were any less than Who He is, He would probably get annoyed with me on a regular basis. If He were any less than Who He is, He would probably avoid me at times. But He doesn't.  He's the PERFECT FRIEND.
Proverbs 17 says that friends love through all kinds of weather.  God is like that.
Proverbs 18 says that a true friend sticks by you.  God is like that.
Proverbs 27 says that a nearby friend is a good friend.  God is like that.
     Some of the wonderful aspects of friendship with God is that He loves you unconditionally, and continually.  He sticks by you through thick and thin.  He is closer than a brother.  He's always "face to face". You never see Him walking away from you.
     One thing I have come to appreciate about my Friend is that He gives me correction when I'm on the wrong path. He does it without condemnation or judgment or a critical spirit. He does it with Grace, and it blesses me. I am excited to know that He won't let me stumble without giving me a hand up.
     Have you discovered the glorious blessing of being Friends with God?  It is a fast Friendship that He is relentlessly pursuing with you.  He doesn't want to be a casual acquaintance.  He's invested everything He has to be your friend.  Won't you take Him up on it? A good friend wishes you well at all times.  Who wouldn't want that for heaven's sake?
Power Thought:
Have you ever thought about being a FRIEND of God? You are, you know.











Copyright © 2014, Suzanne Robert, Unpublished Work

No comments:

Post a Comment