Monday, September 3, 2012

Power Of Generous Patience



Key Scripture: "God's servant must not be argumentative, but a gentle listener and a teacher who keep cool, working firmly but patiently with those who refuse to obey."  II Timothy 2:24 The Message
Power Point:
     I was talking to someone the other day and I was getting –well-impatient. As I sat there, beginning to fume, I heard this patient voice inside me say, “Be generously patient.” Darn.  He had me again. I’m not fond of working on the “patience” thing.
     If we take a close look at the fruit of the Spirit each of them builds upon the other one doesn’t it?  We begin with a foundation of love and because of that we become truly joyful. Peace should just come naturally following on the heels of love and joy.
     And then comes patience. Ah. Patience is to be included in all of the fruit if you think about it.  Patient love.  Patient peace. Patient faith. Patient gentleness. Patient goodness. Patient kindness. Our love isn’t real love unless its filled with the fruit of patience is it?  Our kindness finds it hard to be continually kind unless patience is added in.
     Perhaps patience is really the most important part of God’s nature.  Every part is wonderful of course but where on earth would we be if He wasn’t generous with His patient love and kindness; His patient grace and mercy and His patient faith in us?
     If you’ve ever been around someone who is impatient with you, you probably really understand how important God’s patience is for us and definitely in us.  When I think of all the times that I’ve missed the mark or let the spirit of stupid stay around too long, I’m very, very grateful for God’s generous patience.  And He doesn’t have to think about it, He just IS.
I think we probably would be a lot better off if we allowed Him to work on that particular trait in us don’t you? And the key is, not to be grudgingly patient, or conditionally patient but generously patient all the time, just like Jesus.

Power Thought:
Patience is a virtue.  How virtuous are you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment