Sunday, July 22, 2012

Power of Enjoyment


Key Scripture:  “…don’t set your hopes on uncertain riches but on God, Who richly and ceaselessly provides us with everything for (our) enjoyment.”  I Timothy 6:17 Amplified Bible.
Power Point:
When I go to Phoenix to see the “grands”,  I always take an extra large suitcase. It’s not filled with clothes, it’s filled with presents for them, including Baron the wonder dog. Actually Baron is the first one to go running to the suitcase.  He can hardly wait until I get it open.  He knows there will be treats for him and a new toy.  The “grands” gather round. They carry the suitcase in from the car. They place it in “Gami’s room” and then look at me hopefully and excitedly. I can see their little brains whirring with anticipation, “What has she brought with her for ME?”
It’s perfectly okay to be that excited because we have a wonderful family relationship. They are absolutely sure that the Gami they know will have gifts for them. They know that I am good to them. They would never expect anything less from me.
Baron and his best friend Odie
Beloved, isn’t that how we should be with our heavenly Father? Shouldn’t we anticipate His “visits” with great excitement and pleasure? Because we are “family” shouldn’t we expect our Father to have brought in His huge suitcase filled with answers to every prayer for us?  Didn’t He say that whatever we ask in Jesus name He would  do for us? Shouldn’t we expect fun and happy times with Him? Didn’t He say that His children are “blessed”? Doesn’t that mean that we should be ”happy, to be envied and spiritually prosperous (that is-filled with life-joy and satisfaction in His favor and salvation, regardless of our outward conditions” (because that’s what “blessed” means)? Of course we should!
When I leave Phoenix to head back to Atlanta I always leave a “Gami gift”. It’s waiting for each of them at their place at the table when they wake up. Originally I did that because I knew they would be sad that I had gone and I wanted to give them a happy surprise to remind them that I loved them. Jesus did that for us too.  He left the Holy Spirit for us to help us not be sad that He was gone and surprise us with lovely gifts to remind us that He loves us and is thinking about us always.
I hope you are as excited about the gifts He’s left you as my grandchildren are with mine. They never ignore them or say, “this couldn’t really be for me”’ they tear into them and use them and play with them and ENJOY them. We shouldn’t do less with our “heavenly gifts” should we?
Power Thought:
Isn’t it time to get excited about and begin enjoying the joy of the good gifts God has given you? After all, every good gift and ever perfect (free, large, full) gift is from above; it comes down from the Father of lights for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment