Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Power of A Warm Welcome


Key Scripture:  All the friends here say “hello”.  Pass the greetings around with holy embraces!.” I Corinthians 16:20 The Message
Power Point:
I love people with the gift of hospitality.  Kim and David, (my daughter in law and son) are very hospitable.  When anyone enters their house they make them feel very welcome. My friend Donna is the same way. It’s lovely to have role models that show us how to welcome someone isn't' it?
In the South, where I live, we have an abundance of people who know how to give a wonderfully gracious welcome. However I still think God is the best at always offering us a warm and gracious welcome. 
James is well aware that even his brothers and sisters in the Lord are guilty of showing favoritism when they greet someone.  He says that when someone new enters the room and they are wealthy or cleaned up nicely we tend to be more welcoming to them than another man who enters that is perhaps homeless and dirty, and wearing ragged clothes. He reminds us that we are to treat them both the same, just as God does. In fact, he even defines any favoritism as being judgmental. 

Sometimes we’re asked to help people who don’t smell good or look good or act good but God says we are to look past the exterior and find the treasure in that person. I can remember praying for someone who didn’t measure up to my standards of cleanliness and when I finished they gave me a big hug. I survived. You will too.
Not only are we not to differentiate on the basis of how people look, God says we are to welcome all our brothers and sisters in Christ with open arms. We are to be respectful, honoring and gracious to everyone in the “family” of God. Why?  Because that’s what He does. He never lets us wear out our welcome with Him in spite of our differences. He always greets us with open arms, even if we’re a bit smudged or have morning breath. He is always delighted to see us.
We make Him happy.
Beloved, the only way we can offer someone a warm welcome is by drawing on the power of God within us isn’t it?
If God knows how to make people welcome, He’ll show us how. He’ll show us what a genuinely warm welcome is, and remember you can never wear out your welcome with Him.
I guess I need to work on that.  How about you?
Power Thought:
Is that your doorbell ringing?  Well, say “hello!” and greet them with a holy embrace. That’s what Jesus would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment