Monday, February 4, 2013

Power Of Almost





KEY SCRIPTURE: “Give freely and spontaneously.  Don’t have a stingy heart. The way you handle matters like this triggers God, your God’s blessing in everything you do, all your work and ventures…So I command you, Always be generous, open purse and hands.”  Deuteronomy 15:11

POWER POINT:
     It’s a beautiful day here even though its cold. I was a little late putting out the fresh bread, bird seed and peanuts for all the “critters” at my house. I am amazed at how much I was totally unaware of all the creatures around my house, until I began to feed them. They wait for me every morning around the same time. I can hear the crows complaining if I’m late. Within minutes of my closing the door, life comes to life with a flurry.  Before, I was oblivious to them, now I know that they rely on me for their food and water.  It’s my job.
     Yesterday I participated in an event to raise money to build wells all over the world for people who have no water.  Unless somebody helps them they will never have clean water. The picture I can’t get out of my mind is that of a woman in Haiti, trying to dig with her own hands to bring up the water out of the ground. I bet her nails were broken and dirty. She's desperate. If she doesn’t do that, her little girls will have to walk miles each day in dangerous territory to get enough water to survive.  The thing is, before I knew about it, I never thought about it.  I was oblivious. Now I’m accountable for what I know.

Sometimes we can be aware of things and intend to help and perhaps we almost do something to help but we get distracted or we begin to think, “Maybe I should save that money. I might need it.” Have I made you feel guilty enough yet?

Beloved, God has more than enough money but some of it is in our pockets.

     We have been taught to worry about our future.( Have you ever come away from a newscast smiling? ) In the Kingdom of God, that’s not allowed, because in the Kingdom of God, God is our Provider and He’s not stingy.  In the Kingdom of God, the more we give the bigger our supply gets. 
     Almost.  That means we were thinking about helping and then we didn’t. We came close but not close enough.  We nearly helped. We almost gave. But then we got the mistaken impression that it was our money. Oops. If some of God’s money is in our pockets, shouldn’t we at least ask Him what He wants us to do with it and then do it?
     My friend Janet began a group of cheerful “well-diggers” a few years ago called “The Widow’s Mite Experience”. They put on all kinds of functions and  encourage other women to give so that they can have the joy of building wells for God where He wants to build them.  My son, David is active in an organization called, “Feed My Starving Children”. I'm so proud of them.  Both Janet and David have visited other countries and seen the starving and thirsty families there who need God’s pockets to be emptied out. My son has pictures of people who stand in line for MILES to get food for their families. Janet and David are no longer oblivious to those faces.  They’re engraved on their hearts. They are not passing by anymore.
    Beloved, we are part of God’s relief plan. We are representing Him and His kingdom. We are the ones who are chosen to be part of the family business that brings heaven to earth. What a privilege.  What a partnership!
     I have been so guilty at times of almost doing something. Haven’t you? I thought about it.  I meant to.  But something happened and I didn’t. I’m changing that.  How about you?
  Yesterday ladies bid at an auction and bought purses they probably didn’t need at prices they couldn’t believe. The truth is they weren’t buying purses- they were taking God’s money out of their pockets to buy fresh water. I was proud of them. And so was He. They didn't almost do it, they did it.  Good for them!  Well done.

Power Thought:
God has deep pockets.  Is some of His money in yours? Are you the one with the key to bring heaven to earth for someone today? Will you be the somebody for somebody?










I’ve never done this before but I wanted to give you an opportunity to fill two very worthy ministry pockets today with God’s supply for food and water.

The Widows Mite Experience

Feed My Starving Children 

Almost there?

No comments:

Post a Comment