Friday, February 8, 2013

Power Of Leaving A Legacy


         
Key Scripture:  “Your faithfulness is from generation to generation; You have established the earth, and it stands fast.”  Psalm 119:90
Power Point:
     For many years I wondered who had sent prayers out ahead of me.  I honestly didn’t know anyone and it bothered me.  Recently, my sister and I began researching our family history on Ancestry.com. It has been the greatest joy as we’ve discovered together the rich Christian heritage we have. Yes there are kings, and knights, and “just folks”, but the one I am treasuring most right now is Hans Landis.  He was the founder of the Mennonite faith and was martyred for his beliefs in the 1100’s in Switzerland.  At his execution, the executioner asked his forgiveness for what he was about to do. He said, “I have already done it.” As I’ve read some of the things he believed, I am amazed at how closely they are ingrained in what I believed.
Suzanne's Great Grandfather
      The other morning I was reading from Joel Osteen’s book, “ I Declare!”  Here is what he said: “You may be reaping the rewards of a legacy left a hundred years ago by a great-great grandfather or other ancestors.  They prayed. They helped others. It was their faith, their life of excellence, that planted the seed, and now God is rewarding them by helping you to live a life of victory.
Your challenge is to live in such a way as to cause others to win.  With every right decision you make, you are holding up our hands (like Moses), you’re making it easier on those who come after you.  Every time you resist temptation you’re winning for your children.
Every time you are kind and respectful, every time you help someone in need, every time you come to church, serve, and give, you are storing up mercy.  It may be for your children, for your grandchildren, or even a hundred years from now for somebody in your family line who will experience God’s goodness because of the life you’ve lived.”
     I’m so grateful to have discovered “hidden treasures’ in my own family. I have always been aware that my husband’s prayers continue to wrap this family in blessing.
     I pray that some day, all those who come after me will know that they have been blessed by my life.  How about you?  Isn’t it wonderful to know that your life is seeding faith into the future of your family? Isn’t it wonderful to know that the way we live can cause others to win too?
     We need to be more aware of the fact that what we sow today will blossom tomorrow don’t we? Just think of all the prayers of the Apostle Paul that are still wrapping themselves around our lives today and helping us to win. When you reach out to help someone today or resist that temptation or show kindness, remember you are planting seeds for your family’s tomorrow.
Power Thought:
 Full of The Joy Of The Lord
 We have a choice to sow blessing or cursing, life or death, faith or unbelief.  Which will you choose for those who come after yourself and those who come after you?

No comments:

Post a Comment