Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Power Of Food For Thought


Key Scripture:  “This One thing I desire…” Psalm 27:4
Power Point:
     How do you plan your day?  How do you face your problems?  What did you learn this morning that blesses you about your position as a child of God?
Did you take the time?  Did you MAKE the time?
     "Busy" is the best description of this generation isn’t it?  I look at my son and his wife and wonder how they do it all and still find time to be with the Lord.  But they do.  I remember when my children were small, I thought it was impossible to be any busier, but today there has been an exponential growth in busy-ness.
     In Proverbs 4, we’re told that The Word will bring health to all our flesh. The Word?  The Word brings life and health? Really? I thought if I concentrated totally on eating properly, I would be healthy. But the Word says that The Word digested brings me health.  That means that I can exercise every day and eat only the most awesome foods, yet real life comes when I allow the Word to change my heart.  And the heart, is where the real issues of life spring out. I can be as physically fit as it is possible to be yet if my “heart” is not fit through The Word, I will still be missing one very important thing.
     Joshua must have been a pretty fit individual don’t you think?  He walked and exercised, carrying those heavy weapons of the time. The children of Israel  ate wonderful foods and were able to walk long miles and fight long battles. In fact, there “was not one feeble among them.”  (Psalms 105:37). Yet as he was getting ready to lead the children of Israel into the promised land, the Lord gave Joshua these words of instruction:  “Be sure you lift weights today. Make sure you do your aerobics for thirty minutes.”  Wait!  That’s NOT what He said.  He said, “Meditate and study on My Words day and night.  Be sure to obey everything I’ve said. Only then will you prosper and have good success.  Only then will you be able to be strong and have courage.” (Suzanne version).
     Beloved, there is nothing wrong with exercise and healthy eating.  It is a WONDERFUL way of taking care of God’s temple, but it’s not the only way. The Psalmist said, “This ONE thing I’m asking.  I want to live every day of my life with You.  I ‘ll contemplate Your beauty, I’ll study at Your feet.  That’s the only quiet, secure place in a noisy world, the perfect getaway, far from the buzz of traffic.” (The Message).
     Have you been looking for the “perfect getaway”?  I’ve got good news for you and it won’t cost you a penny.  Do the ONE thing that will bring you prosperity and good success. Study at His feet. Contemplate how beautiful He is.  And let it be the ONE thing you do every day. Everything else will pale in comparison to the benefits of spending time with Him. Let His Words dwell richly inside you so that your life becomes a manifestation of all that Jesus, The Living Word, died to give you and offers to you every day.
I read this story today about George Mueller. I offer it to you as food for thought:
     "George Muller, who lived in the 1800's cared fro more than 2000 orphans in his five large orphanages.  But he never allowed his huge responsibility to take him away from the Word of God.  He said that every day, he would set aside time to study the scriptures until his inner man was happy in the Lord.  Once Muller met a man who worked between 14 and 16 hours every day.  He told the man, "You are destroying your health.  You don't have time for your family and, most importantly, you don't have time to nourish your inner man with the Word of God."
     The man replied, " I hear you, but I can't see how I can cut down my working hours and spend time in the Word because even with the 14-16 hours I put in each day, I still can't put enough bread on the table for my family."
     As the man walked away, Muller said, "He doesn't believe that if he gives time to God's Word first, God will take care of all His needs."

Power Thought:   
   What is the ONE thing you will do today that will change your life?

Jesus said, “Only one thing is needful and Mary has chosen the good part.”  Will you choose “the good part” today?

No comments:

Post a Comment