Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Power Of Rats


Key Scripture:  Bless the LORD, oh my soul...Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies.” Psalms 103:4
Power Point:
     We have a small guesthouse on our property that we lovingly call “The Cottage”.  It has been a place of grace for many people over the years.  When the family came for their annual visit last week, my daughter moved out to the Cottage so that they could have the run of the house. There was an odd smell there, like urine. A painter had already discovered a hole where squirrels were getting in, and we were dealing with that, but this was a new “surprise”.  I called a pest control service. The man came and walked the property with Stefanie and the end result of his visit was that he looked us in the eye and said that on a scale of 1-10 the cottage was a “ten” in being infested with RATS. Yes. He said they were big rats and if we didn’t deal with them we would be overrun with SNAKES. He said the house was infested with MICE. He named an exorbitant fee.  I have to admit that I let the force of his words blow me off course. I signed up for the service because he said he would set the traps that evening.  All I could think of was my daughter sleeping in that place and my grandchildren running around with rats.  My daughter wanted to wait and get another opinion. I just couldn’t.  It was overwhelming.
As you can imagine, none of us got any sleep that night.  All I could think of was the rats throwing a huge party for all their friends as my daughter and our dogs lay there, completely unprotected while mice were doing the same thing over our heads.  It was a horrible night.
The next morning I sat down for a chat with my Father and I began to do what He has taught me to do. Away from the pressure of what this person had said, I began to think about what my Father had promised me.  I began to remember that He has promised to destroy the destroyer. It didn't make sense that the destroyer was destroying, so I began to listen to what HE was saying. Long story short, we called another service for a second opinion and another man from the first service came out to check the traps.  Nothing. They saw no infestation.  There were NO mice in the house.  The funny thing is that when we called the first company to tell them that we would NOT be using their service and why, they said that they really would like to take care of our pest control service.  Really?! There's an old saying, "Fool me once, shame on YOU, fool me twice, shame on ME!"
This is such a perfect illustration of what faith really is, isn’t it?  When we allow ourselves to be deceived into thinking that God is NOT doing what He promised to do; when we allow the circumstances to dictate lies to us and we believe them; when we allow what we “see” or “hear” to control our thoughts; when we accept what someone else says and not what God says, thenwe open ourselves up to the Destroyer.  I was fooled. I took fear. I listened to the wrong voice.
      When your circumstances look as though your life is infested with rats; when you feel as though the only way out is to follow what you think you see, remember this:  God rebukes the destroyer for His children. Always.
He gets angry when He sees them being attacked. He acts for them.
Beloved, He is on your side. The Scriptures say that over and over and over again. Are you listening?
     Years ago, as my friend Janet and I were praying one day, God said, “Don’t let the devil dance in My space.”  Last week, the devil tried to do a polka in my mind and for a short time he was successful. If he is dancing in your life, run to Your Father and ask forgiveness for listening to the lies and then begin to declare the real truth that will set you free. Get a second opinion! And watch God work for you, against the enemy.
     Faith makes us courageous. Faith strengthens our minds. When Joshua was getting ready to lead the children of Israel into enemy territory, God said, ”Son, don’t look at what the enemy is doing around you to distract you. Make sure that you are only look at what I am doing and hear what I am saying. That is the only way you will prosper and have good success.” (Suzanne version, Joshua 1:8,9)
And then He said, “Have I not commanded you to be strong and of good courage? As someone has said, "This is not a suggestion!"
Courage? If you have faith in Him, you will have courage.  If you have no faith in Him, you will live in fear. Your marching orders are to walk by faith, to take courage and be strong.  
Courage is a result of consistent faith, which will consistently strengthen you.  When the pressure comes, and it will, take courage in your faith.  The destroyer will be destroyed. And the devil will not dance in God’s space anymore.
Does your life appear to be infested with rats? Are they gnawing and tunneling their way into your thoughts?  Then it’s time to exterminate them. Take courage, Beloved, God is on your side, no matter what anyone else says.
Power Thought:

Remember, appearances are deceiving, and we all know where that comes from.  Be sure to get a second opinion. From Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment