Thursday, September 25, 2014

Power of Abiding


Key Scripture:  "He holds all things together."  Colossians 1:17
Power Point:
    God doesn't expect your relationship with Him to be a "marriage of convenience".  He never intended to live on the periphery of our lives and only drop in for the occasional rescue.  He never thought heaven was the only reason for choosing you.
    God expects us to learn more about Him by day by day, abiding in His counsel, abiding in the presence of His peace and joy,  and abiding in the safe place of His plans for you.
     Your heavenly FATHER, wants you to spend so much time with Him that you know the family relationship of Father and Child/ Bride and Groom.  The joy of abiding begins in the wonderful moments of the ordinary times, the daily times, day after day, building a trust and a companionship, a growing comfort in being together. 
    When Denny and I were first married I thought he was the best thing that ever happened to me and I adored him.  But I didn't know him fully, and frankly I didn't know ME and who I would become because of his influence in my life.
     As the years progressed and we walked through life's circumstances together, we learned more about each other and about ourselves.  There were times of great joy but there were also times when we had to hold each other tightly and simply keep walking.  The thing is, I gradually came to KNOW that he would hold on to me and keep walking. I came to the place where I never doubted that. I guess you could say that we learned to "abide" with each other.
     As I observe my son David, and his wife Kim-they  definitely have learned the value of "abiding". Now, with the wonder of texting, they are in constant communication throughout the day, wherever they are. It may be just a quick check in or something more important but they have become best friends as well as a married couple.  They've walked through some pretty difficult circumstances but in the process they've learned to know that each of them is there for the other no matter what. They hold on and keep walking.
     The glorious beauty of our relationship with Jesus is that He has opened the door to a place of our ability to encounter our Father's presence any moment-any day-any time. In John 15, Jesus pointed out the fact that we are invited and expected to abide in Him. He said that the evidence of abiding is that what HE has said, becomes the basis for how we live our lives.
     His words are there to hold us together with Him.  His promises, and His thoughts are to be the glue that binds us together with our heavenly Father and all that He is for us.  His words are the "studs" that hold up the foundation of our lives.  And unless HE builds the house, WE build it in vain. 
     The progression from knowing about Him, to really knowing Him is firmly established on Jesus's Words and seeing them come to life in our circumstances.   It's taking the time to sort out what we believe about Him from what someone else has said, and  beginning to increase in knowing Him from what Jesus has said, and has demonstrated by His life.  Jesus is the One who holds all things together by the power of His Word. 
     If He is the One who holds everything together, wouldn't it be wise to at least know what He thinks about things?
     When my husband died, there was a huge void in my future.  The things we had planned together, the dreams we had dreamed together were all tied up in our "togetherness'.  Suddenly I had no purpose, no teammate, and no one to hold me together.  That's when my journey into "abiding" in Jesus, began with greater intensity.  Now, twenty years later, I find that He is perfectly capable of holding me and my circumstances together.  I heard Graham Cooke say recently, that 'If you are IN Christ, then all of your circumstances are In HIM too!"  Good point don't you think?
    I don't know where you are abiding today, whether it is in the counsel of a friend, or the latest world news, or the latest self-help book, but I do know this; If you are abiding in Jesus, then your circumstances are lovingly and powerfully in Him too.
Why not ask Him WHO He wants to be for you in your situation right now?  Could He be bigger than you think?
And then, why not ask Him, who He intends for YOU  to become as you abide in Him through this situation? 
Could you be bigger than you think?
The most obvious question is, of course, what are HIS thoughts on the matter?
Wouldn't you like to abide in higher thoughts, wiser thoughts, and victorious thoughts?

It all depends on where you chose to abide today, and who you choose to listen to does't it?

Power Thought:
Jesus never loses or loosens His grip on us.  Hold on tight, and keep walking!










Copyright © 2014, Suzanne Roberts, Unpublished Work


No comments:

Post a Comment