Sunday, September 21, 2014

Power Of A Name


Key Scripture:  "Therefore God has also highly exalted Him, (Jesus), and given Him the name which is above every name."  Philippians 2:9
Power Point:
    What's in a name?   I've been  thinking about that lately.  My "official" name, given to me by my parents, recorded on my birth certificate, for all time, is Suzanne.  I never liked that name when I was younger. NOBODY else had that name, so I shortened it to "SUE".  Eventually it became "Susan" and then I finally decided I liked the original version, so in college I changed identities again.
       After I became a Christian, I discovered that my name meant something even more important.  It means "Lily" and/or "Grace".  So there I am, right in the pages of Matthew, clearly cared for by my Heavenly Father: "Consider the Lilies."  (He does, you know.)
      To my friend Julie, my name is "Suz".  To Janet, I'm "Suzie Q".  To my two gifts from The Lord, I am "Mom".  To those four absolutely terrifically precious grandchildren, I am now and forever, "Gami".  Those names are all unique to me.  I answer to any of them, but I have some other names that you probably share with me.
    To my Heavenly Father I am "Daughter".  To Jesus I am "My Bride". To the Holy Spirit, I am a "Saint", a Friend, a Companion, an Anointed one, the one to be "Blessed".
To all of them I am precious, delightful, Their masterpiece, and the Chosen one. So are you.
     Each of us is called by the name which only God knows and which will be given to us in heaven. Don't you wonder what that name will be?
    God changed Abram's name to Abraham. He went from being "High Father" to "Father of a  Multitude".  God was naming him what He knew he would become.  "Sarai" meant "princess". God renamed her "Sarah", which means "mother of all nations"
     The shepherd boy David, became King David, and Saul became Paul.  In God's eyes, your name is of the utmost importance.  It is a statement of who He thinks you are.  I was not a Christian when I named my children, but as time has passed, I see that I was divinely inspired when I named them.  They're growing into the names God gave them.
     How about you?  Are you growing into your unique connection with your Father?  Are you feeling more loved today than yesterday, Beloved?  Is the anointing on your life becoming stronger, anointed one?  Do you sense the close presence of your Father, dear child?
      Are you living up to your name?
Power Thought:

He has given each of us His own name-"Christian", "little Christ".  What an honor we have to be called by His name.  I think it's awesome.






Copyright (c) Suzanne Roberts, Unpublished Work

No comments:

Post a Comment