Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Power Of Help



Key Scripture:  “And when He (The Helper) comes, He will take you by the hand and guide you into all the Truth there is.”  John 16: 12-15,The Message
Power Point:
     The best part of waking up is a little bit of “WOW!” in your cup isn’t it?  I love my coffee in the morning. Before I drink it, my brain is still partly asleep and doesn’t want to get up. Then I take a big sip of my coffee and we’re off!
     I’m wondering how to get that same jolt of “Wow” into all the other parts of my life aren’t you?  IF you think about it, when the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost that was a terrific “Wow” moment wasn’t it?  120 people went from ordinary to T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C! They went from simple folk to being simply amazing people who couldn’t get enough of telling people about Jesus. Why did they want people to give their lives to Him? Because now, after Pentecost, they realized the value of His “wowsome” power.
     I know that you’ve heard the phrase “give your life to Jesus” haven’t you?  It’s an interesting concept.  You take your old worn out, lonely, powerless life and you give it to God. I think the idea is that He then adds all that He is and wants to do for you and through you to the broken down pieces of life that you gave him and makes a Divinely Generous Exchange. What I find most often though is that people give Him their lives ((they want to go to heaven after all), but then they take it back. They refuse to follow His plans or even learn to make that relationship any deeper than it was when they started.
     Years ago, I hired an interior designer to help me put my house together. I was clueless but she was amazing. I knew that. Yet sometimes I argued with her. I thought that what I thought was better than what she KNEW. And of course, I was just the tiniest bit afraid of all that “new”. She, on the other hand was quite comfortable with the "new" that she "knew".  Fortunately it all came out right in the end. I finally learned to listen more and decided I wanted to grow in the process. So I did. And the house did.  And it is still amazing.
     The thing is Jesus offers us a package deal. He offers us so much more than we had before. Why on earth, do we not ask for His advice on how to bring all the abundance into our lives that He died to give us? Most people have no problem identifying forgiveness as a result of the Cross. And of course it is. But Jesus had forewarned the disciples that there was MORE. He told them that if they wanted to live the life He was just about to die to give them, they would need more "HELP". The more was the person of Holy Spirit. The MORE was His teaching, His revelation, His wisdom, and His Power. I guess that’s why they call Him, “The Helper”.  Everyone kept asking everyone they met, after Holy Spirit had descended with a swoosh. Have you received Him?  Have you “taken the power” of God?
     We tend to forget that God always wants to help us don’t we?  If He’s good, and if He’s got good plans for us to give us a future and a hope, (Jeremiah 29:11), wouldn’t we be wise to ask for the Helper to help?
Got a question?  He’s got the answer. Got a problem? He has the solution.
Got a need? He can help you with that!
Beloved, the loving help of God is beyond our understanding but it is not beyond our reach. It’s there every morning when you wake up and every night as you sleep. It’s there to help you move from the “old” to the “new”. He loves to love you by helping you?  Will you let Him?
      When we give our lives to Christ, we tend to give it to Him “on loan” don’t we? When He really starts to transform the “icky old” into the “shiny new”, we usually put up a fight. I don’t know why.  We just do. Our lives can be really hard can’t they?  That’s why we need a little “WOW Power!” in our lives. We need the Helper to help us to chart our path to the abundance He has for us don’t we?

Need some Help? You know Who to call!

Power Thought:
Everything Jesus did, He did with the help of Holy Spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment