Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Power of Doubt


Key Scripture:  Whoever says to this mountain, “Be lifted up and cast into the sea! “ And does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will take place, it will be done for him. For this reason, I am telling you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe-trust and be confident that it is granted to you and you will get it.”  Mark 11:, 23,24 Amplified Bible
Power Point:
I’m certain that there have been times when you’ve “claimed” this promise for yourself and I’m also certain that there have been times when the “whatever” you asked for didn’t suddenly appear. You know how we love to look at the promise and forget the commands that enable you to get there.  In this case, Jesus says, “if” you trust and are confident, “if’ you do not allow doubt to enter your thoughts and your emotions and sidetrack you, you will get what you asked for. At some point we have to be really honest with ourselves don’t we? There have been many times when I’ve started out on my “faith walk” (as my friend Marion likes to call it), with the greatest intentions and then I lose my vim, vigor and vitality. It can be really hard to hold on to a promise from God when absolutely everything appears to be against its fulfillment can’t it? Abraham was promised a son and it didn’t happen for twelve years.  David was anointed king and had spears thrown at him by the present king and was hunted and hounded for sixteen years. One of the things I treasure most from David’s writings is in Psalm 27:13.
It says: “What would have become of me if I had not believed that I would see the Lord’s goodness in the land of the living.” What a great example for us.
The word for “doubt” here, (I knew you were wondering), means to desert something, to separate yourself with a sense of hostility, and even to be so divided in your own mind that you are opposing yourself.  Ever been there? Good. Then you are perfectly normal.
If the Promise looks dangerously close to being a figment of your imagination- congratulations-you are on the right track. That’s exactly Satan’s best line of defense.  If he can make you abandon your faith, your confidence in God and make you pull away from the promise discouraged and disappointed and depressed, then he can divide your mind into so many parts that you’ll think you’re going crazy and that you imagined the whole thing. He will even try to get you so confused that you are actually helping him to cause doubt by arguing with yourself.
Beloved if Abraham made it, if David made it, if Paul made it and if Jesus made it through to the Promises, then there is absolutely no reason why we can’t too! We have the same Spirit that guided them in us and with us. You have to believe that first and then when the doubts come they will not drag you down.
Like David you can say, “What would have become of me if I hadn’t believed in Him?”
Trust me, you don’t want to know.
Power Thought:
Wait for and expect the Lord; be brave and of good courage. Your answer is STILL on the way. It's one day closer Beloved.

No comments:

Post a Comment