Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Power Of Remembering To Forgive


Key Scripture:  This is the covenant I will make with you...your sins, I will remember no more.”  Jeremiah 31:34
Power Point:
     It’s interesting that there are things I remember that I would like to forget. And of course there are a lot of things I forget that I would like to remember! The things we remember can bless us or curse us can’t they? The things we remember, those things that we “keep in our minds” can help us or hurt us.  Just yesterday I was talking to the Lord about a particular person who continually shows up on my ”Grace-Grower’s List”. (Meaning that they repeatedly do things that force me to grow in grace.) I asked the Lord why I kept remembering the negatives and forgetting the positives.  He said, “You don’t have to, you know.  If I can forget, then so can you.” Well then.
     I’ve heard people say for years that don’t have to forget, we just have to forgive. Well, quite honestly, I’m not sure that is what God expects of us.  What do you think?
If God can continually forgive and forget, shouldn’t we be able to do that too?  I think one reason He is so joyful is that He has chosen to remember only the good things about us, and the end result of the good plans He has for us.

     In other words, if I’m continually remembering and remembering and remembering the last stupid thing someone did, I’m not going to be able to desire or believe for their future to unfold in God’s kingdom. In fact, I'm not able to release myself into all that God has for me. I’m going to waste so much time and energy on the negatives that they will bring continual darkness that I have to fight through to fight for them and me!  I don’t know if you’ve noticed but that gets really tiring, exhausting, in fact.
    So what would God have you remember?
His faithfulness.
Things that are worthy of His thoughts and His thoughtfulness.
Things that are a good report.
Beloved, that’s not just for you to remember to tell others; that’s for you to remember to TELL YOURSELF!  If God loves them, then you can love them.  If God forgives them, then you have the same spirit of forgiveness in you. The beauty of that forgiving Spirit is that it sets you free; free from tormenting thoughts, from negative responses, and bitterness, resentment, and anger.
There are times when forgetfulness is a distinct advantage, don't you think?

Power Thought:

Don’t forget to remember His forgetfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment