Sunday, January 15, 2012

Power of Being Special


Key Scripture:  "I’m God’s favorite."  Psalms 30:5, The Message
Power Point:
This past Christmas I really put a lot of thought and prayer into the presents I gave. I asked the Lord to make them meaningful-something that would continue to give into people’s lives.
The “You Are Special Today” mug was almost an afterthought. I had bought it for a friend’s birthday in November and then for some reason didn’t give it to her. When I was packing to go to Phoenix, I saw it and just put it in my bag. My son always gets up soon after I do and so on the first morning I was there I put the mug out at the coffee maker and then put $20 in it. It really seemed to be very meaningful to him so I started doing it with my daughter-in-law. It became so much fun to plan what I would do the next day. Would it be a gift card or a note or a scripture? I had already ordered one for my home in Atlanta, thinking how nice it would be to surprise my daughter with a good thought in the morning and maybe she would even return the favor!
Actually she did.  Today I woke up to the mug and cinnamon rolls waiting for me. Go Stef!
When I saw how it blessed everyone, I realized that this was an answer to my prayer. Everyone who has received it has multiplied the blessings. My friend Janet put it out for her husband on Christmas day and then made him a wonderful Christmas breakfast.
My friend Julie ordered extras and gave each one of her family one. What a nice picture to think of all those people, reading or watching TV and the words that they see in front of them are “You Are Special Today.”
Everyone needs to hear that once in a while, don't you think? God tells us that all the time because He knows how important it is for us to know that truth. It’s so vital to have a good word to start your day (and end our day) isn’t it? The good news is that God always has a "special" word for you to give you a blessing. You could even ask Him for one of those "blessing" words to add to your cup and start off someone else’s day with  some heavenly "oomph".
But they’ve made a million mistakes, you say?  Well, the truth is that God still thinks we’re special even we mess up. And remember you’re giving them God’s word not yours! His words  are always exhorting and edifying and meant to build you up. Hmm. What if each one of us spoke only those kinds of words to everyone we know today? What if our goal for every day was to make someone else feel “special”?  We could be starting a “Special Revolution”! I like that idea!
Power Thought:
Beloved, you are very very special, today and every day.God said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment