Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Power Of Good Taste


Power Of Good Taste
Key Scripture:  Taste and see that that the Lord is good!” Psalm 34:8
Power Point:
     My friend Donna is an excellent baker. Excellent.  She enjoys baking and sharing her goodies with her friends. We are happy to share.  No one ever says “no” to her offerings. Recently, she attended a luncheon and, as usual, she had whipped up a batch of her world famous chocolate brownies. They are scrumptious, topped off with a thick layer of rich chocolate icing.  (Anyone hungry?) The odd thing is that not one person took a brownie that day. Needless to say, Donna was a bit miffed. Not one person had “tasted and seen that they were good”! So she left them there. I’m quite sure that someone took them and ate them eventually.  
     Isn’t that a great illustration of the table that God has prepared for us? It’s full of wonderful things that are rich, and tasty and oh so good! But we never “take them”, or “taste them”, or even sample them. His table is always filled with fresh wine, and fresh bread, in the form of love, and kindness and grace and mercy. Every morning He sets it for us with large cups of grace and forgiveness, healing and peace. Each new day there is a fresh and full measure of Love that keeps regenerating itself.  Isn’t it awesome to see that God never runs out, or runs down in any area of His character?
     I get up quite early.  I get my daily supply of heavenly manna and off I go; but I have to be honest. By afternoon, my supply has dwindled!  My body is running out of energy for love, grace and mercy.  And don’t even think of handing me hard decisions after 8 o’clock.  I’m done. But God isn’t. His love and kindness never diminish. When I get up the next morning to get my fresh supply of all that’s offered me, I find a new table prepared with all the things I’ll need for that day. Maybe I won’t need forgiveness and He’s placed an abundance of patience there.  Maybe one day I’ll need more peace than joy. I don’t know. I just know that He knows and He’s prepared it ahead of time for me. 
     The Greek word for “receive” is “take it”.  If I never sample the  “goodies”, if I never “taste and see” the goodness of God for my own life, then I’ll miss the sweetness of who He wants to be for me.  Just like those ladies at the luncheon who never even tasted those brownies, I will have missed the best He has to offer.  And I’ll miss the power of God for my day. When we don’t “take” what God offers us, it’s not His fault. Like Donna, don’t you think God feels a little sad, when we refuse what He offers us? I do. But then, knowing Him, I also know that He just keeps recreating those things we need so that they are always a fresh offering; New every morning, and ready to bring heaven to earth in our lives.  Won’t you “taste and see” something fresh about His goodness today?

Power Thought:
You have a fresh supply of whatever you need, every single day. Today might include some brownies. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment