Thursday, November 22, 2012

Power Of The Question



Key Scripture:  “As for Mephibosheth, (said the king), he shall eat at my table as one of the king’s sons.”  2 Samuel 9:11
Power Point:
I don’t know if you are familiar with the story of Mephibosheth. He was Jonathan’s son, and King Saul’s grandson. After their deaths, Jonathan’s servants hid him away because they feared that David would kill him. To the contrary, David mourned the loss of his friend Jonathan and asks his servants, “Is there anyone left of Jonathan’s family to whom I can show kindness?” Eventually Mephibosheth is summoned to the king's table. He anticipates being killed or at the very least, sitting at the servants tables. Imagine his surprise when the King says, “He will be as one of my sons. He will eat at my table for the rest of his life.”
Thanksgiving can be a difficult time for me.  I have so many memories of days gone by. For me those memories are very intertwined with family. Being the  youngest of four children, our house was the place people gathered. I remember the big dining room table and my brothers coming with their families and my sister with hers. The children, the babies, the “fun”. Of course in retrospect it wasn’t always “fun” but I remember my mom laboring over it all and thinking how much she must enjoy it. Then when I got older and began to do the laboring myself, I found that I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as I thought I would. Every Thanksgiving I would be up before dawn, stuffing the turkey, baking the pies, and seeing to all the details of everything. Wonderful smells filled the air and as people briefly passed through the kitchen the question I would hear most often was, “How soon will it be ready?”  (Ah yes,  those were the good old days.) Then my husband would carve that luscious turkey; my mom would whip up her fabulous giblet gravy; and we would gather around the table for a prayer and our meal.  Of course, it wouldn’t have been complete without me asking everyone, “What are you must thankful for today?”   The question was usually accompanied by groans, except for my husband who knew better.  At any rate, that was the part I loved the most because we were all together in the same place at the same time at a table I had prepared for us. I loved that part!
Then, all to soon, it was over and everyone scattered in different directions; off to do their own thing again. One wonderful gift my husband gave me, was that he and Stefanie would do kitchen duty. I was very thankful.
This Thanksgiving I don’t have a table to prepare. My husband and my mom and dad are with the Lord, eating at His table.  But I do have a table prepared for me.  So do you.  
Will you sit down and heap your plate full of all the blessings God has given you in His Son?  Will you remember to be thankful to Him for the table He has prepared for you?
Isn’t it true that the “faithful” have a better time at that table? They tend to come to it with excitement and anticipation, and a good appetite! They are always asking for “more” please. They know that there’s always room at the table for them and they know that as the King's children, they have the perfect right to fill their plates full to overflowing and they can eat as much as they want.
Beloved, before you go to “your” table will you come to His table today?  Will you come boldly and expectantly to fill your life full of all the tasty things Jesus died to give you? Will you make sure you come with anticipation of a good experience and a great time with the other people of faith who are gathered there? Will you first say “thank You” to Him for all the things set before you on His table?  He's done a lot to prepare it for you and He wants you to fill your plate.

My question to you today is, “What are you thankful for?”

Power  Thought:
When you really begin to “dwell on” on what Jesus died to give you and explore it, you can’t be anything but thankful, and hopeful, and full of faith  can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment