Friday, November 4, 2011

Power of "Amen!"


Key Scripture:  For as many as are the promises of God, they find their Yes (answer) in Him, (Christ).  For this reason we also utter the Amen (so be it) to God through Him-that is, in His Person and by His agency-to the glory of God.”  2 Corinthians 1:20 The Amplified Bible
Power Point:
I attended a Baptist church for many years, and have also lived in the South for many years. There is one word that stands out in my mind-amen!  In church services, the preacher would say something really profound and someone would say a firm “Amen!”-meaning that they agreed with what was being said.
“Amen” is such an interesting word.  It originated in the Hebrew, and then was translated into the Greek, then Latin and then English and many other languages. It is a universal word that has been called the “best known word in human speech”.  I find that fascinating! When we say “Amen” we are agreeing with what has been said- but here is the interesting thing. The word “amen” comes from the Hebrew word for “believe” or faithful. It is not to be taken as lightly as we sometimes take it. It means that you are expressing trust or confidence in what is being said.  You are taking what you have said or what someone else has said and made it your own.
God has spoken many things. He has given us promise after promise after promise. Those words are all out there for us to see and to hear and to believe. You get to be the “Amen!” to those promises in your own life. In fact, if you don’t add the “Amen” those promises will not become yours; they’ll just be lovely words that don’t change your life. We must be in agreement with what He says. We have to, at some point, add our faith and our belief to His promises as a demonstration of our absolute trust and confidence in Him. We have to say "Amen!"
Yesterday I found myself just running through a list of my promises from my Father. After each one I would say, “Amen!” It was a wonderful time as I reminded myself of all the good things He has for me, and is for me.  At the same time, every time I said “amen”, I was reminding God that I had taken those words for my own and that I was leaning on them in absolute trust and confidence in His goodness.
Can I hear an “Amen!”
Power Thought:
Every promise of God is “Yes!” and “Amen!”  Do you believe it? And all God’s children said AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment