Friday, November 4, 2011

Power of the Mountaintop

Key Scripture:  “So Moses went into the midst of the cloud and went up into the mountain. And Moses was on the mountain forty days and forty nights.” Exodus 24:18
Power Point:
I absolutely LOVE mountaintop experiences, except when I’m driving. I have this tiny thing about heights so if I’m riding along a narrow road curving around the side of a mountain I don’t open my eyes. I’m sure there’s a lovely view from there but I don’t look at it.
I really LOVE being on the mountaintop with God. I love all the benefits that place brings to my life and the revelation and the power and the joy of His presence. And I love the view from there. I don’t need to close my eyes because I feel totally safe. 
As a new Christian I used to believe that I would live on top of the mountain forever; that my whole life would be a mountaintop experience. What I now know is that that mountaintop experience is a time of intimacy but it is also a time of preparation. The truths you learn there, the presence that you absorb in that place with God are both a reward and a preparation. Intimate time with your heavenly Father is the reward of the faith that led you through the valley but it is also preparation for the next valley.  Moses spent those 40 days on the mountain with God and received the incredible revelation for the building of the Tabernacle. God was ready to live among His people and He gave Moses the directions! Well poor Moses- his first step off the mountain into the valley was met with a vision of a golden calf, which the people had built to replace God. Whew! Moses responded with what he had learned on the mountain with God.  If you really think about it-God knew was going on in the valley. He prepared Moses for the test and he passed with flying colors. He had discovered that God genuinely loved this people and He wanted to live among them. Reminding himself of that, he intercedes for them and he reminds God. God listens. He was waiting to listen. Because of that valley experience,Moses goes back up the mountain and meets God in a deeply personal revelation of who He really was.
That’s the purpose of the mountaintop Beloved, to meet God, to grow in your knowledge of His goodness, and kindness; to learn to think like Him, act like Him and live with Him. That intimate relationship is what Jesus died to give you. The mountaintop is also to prepare you for the next valley. The purpose of the valley is to work in and work out the things you learned on the mountain with God. As you grow in faith, and intimacy the valleys become “less” difficult and the mountains become “more” glorious.
When was the last time you went to the mountain with your heavenly Father and spent time just discovering Who He is and Who He wants to be for you? Don’t forget that Jesus spent every night there with Him. He was passionate about that time alone with His Father. That’s why He could say, “I only do what I see My Father do and I only say what I hear Him say.” He knew His Father in the depths of His soul. Nothing could shake Him. Every time He “went off to the mountain to pray” He was preparing Himself for the next day, the next thing.  It worked well didn't it?
We have the same opportunity. The mountaintop is where you put aside everything else and just meet with Him. Moses did it. Jesus did it.  Don’t you think we should too?
Power Thought:
When you seize the opportunity to be alone with God, you will get a new grasp of all He wants to be and do for you, and all He has planned for you to do and to be. That's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment