Sunday, November 20, 2011

Power of Liking



Key Scripture:  “Like the Lord your God with all your heart, your mind, and your soul.” Mark 12:30, Suzanne version.
Power Point:
Okay, I know that you know that you are supposed to love God. It’s really clear in scripture isn’t it? But I have a question for you today.  Do you like Him? Is He the one you choose to be with or enjoy being with more than anyone else you know? The word that Jesus uses for “love” here is “agapao”. It means to welcome someone, to be fond of them, and then to love them dearly. Jesus is saying that we need to love God but He’s also saying we should “like” Him as well.
“Agapao” certainly means love but I’d like to expand the envelope here a bit. Welcoming someone into your life because you are fond of them is really “liking” them isn’t it?  I have people in my life that I love because God in me loves them. BUT, I have people that I LOVE that I like as well. Does that make sense?  You “like” your friends.  They are the ones you choose to be with or call on the phone because they have things in their character and personalities and hearts that really make you happy. And usually they like you too! you can be yourself with them.
In the last few years I’ve discovered that God is really “likeable”.  I am becoming especially fond of Him. How could I not be? He’s always there for me with an encouraging word, a comforting hug, a joy and delight in everything I say and do.  What’s not to like?
I’ve heard people say they love God but they say it in somber tones, with a solemn face. They love Him because they know they are supposed to but they really don’t like Him. They’ve never allowed Him to be Himself in their lives. If they did, they’d like Him-they’d really like Him.
God is my “go to” Guy.  I go to Him first because if I have a problem, I know He will fix it. I go to Him first because I know He will always be there for me. (I like that!)  I go to Him first because He always lifts my spirits.  I go to Him first because I know He will give me a fresh perspective on things from His point of view and that makes everything “all better”. I go to Him first because He’s fun and mischievous at times and I like that too.
I guess I just like Him.
How about you?
Power Thought:
Is God your “go to” guy? Do you really, really, like Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment