Saturday, November 26, 2011

Power of Being Yourself



Key Scripture:  “Love always looks for the best”.  I Corinthians 13, The Message
Power Point:

I used a phrase in a recent “Power UP!” that I want to examine a bit more. Sometimes when I am writing, things come out that I had no idea I was going to write. When I said that I knew people who said they loved God but had never allowed Him to be Himself, it really made me stop and think. Did you know that the things you understand about your heavenly Father are directly related to what you understood about your earthly Father? Really. If you had a good dad on earth you are probably going to expect your heavenly Dad to be good as well. Unfortunately, the opposite is true too. I adored my earthly dad and he loved me but he was also a little distant at times. When I entered into a relationship with my heavenly Father, I guess I just assumed that He would not be there for me all the time either.  I thought He would distance Himself from me when I needed Him most.  That was a lie I believed and that determined the course of my life.  If I wasn’t sure that God would always be there for me, it made it really hard to have faith to believe all those things He promised me. Fortunately, as I began to find out more about Him, I discovered that He would always be there for me, He hears every single word I say and He responds. Because I began to understand that and trust that truth, I began to let God be more of Who He wanted to be in my life. I’m learning to allow Him to be Himself, not some cold statue on a throne who simply gives directions and expects me to follow through on my own.
Is there a lie you are believing about your heavenly Father that does not allow Him to be Himself for you? Why don’t you ask Him? And then, why not ask Him what is really true about Him. I think you’ll find that when you allow God to be Himself you’ll really, really like Him
Power Thought:
Remember, your heavenly Father is always an original! (And that's a GOOD thing!) Will you allow Him to be Himself in your life today?

No comments:

Post a Comment