Sunday, February 26, 2012

Power of Being Freshly Grateful


Key Scripture: “And let the peace of God rule in your heart…and never forget to be thankful for what God has done for you.” Colossians 3:15, NLV
 Power Point:
I recently spent some time with family. We don’t get to see each other very often. Our lives are as different as they could possibly be; our political views are as different as they could possibly be and our goals in life are as different as they could possibly be. I come from a family who is not reluctant to express their views. It was an interesting week.
When I first became a Christian nearly 35 years ago, I was very excited. (You know how you are!) I sent them all letters telling them how they were sinners and needed to get right with God so that they too could experience a new life  (and be more like me). I can’t understand why but those letters really turned them off! The next few years were pretty “hairy” as I tried to change my approach. They gradually realized I didn’t have two heads and I gradually realized that God loved them as much as He loved me and only wanted His very best for them. Who knew?! I certainly didn't but then thirty five years ago I didn't know Him very well either.
This last week was difficult. My ears were filled with things I normally protect them from. Generational thinking was very apparent. It was then I began to realize that there had been a huge change-but the change was not in them, it was in little old me. I found my heart breaking because they didn’t know Him and how desperately He wanted to know them and cover their lives with His love. At night, when the tears would flow, I began to remind Him of all those years ago when I had claimed the same verse for them that Rahab had claimed from Joshua-that her whole household would be saved if she hung the scarlet cord out her window. He’s already answered that for my mom and dad. They are with Him at this moment. There’s still more to be done.
The difference in me could only be attributed to the work of Holy Spirit. My reactions and responses had been totally transformed. I was thinking more about them than about me. I was so filled with His love and patience that it astounded me. Frankly I had to fight to get into my place of Peace in the beginning. All my prayer warriors were on high alert! But as I began to realize the difference He has made in my life I was truly freshly grateful. As I look at all the changes and challenges over these years that have moved me closer and closer to His goodness, I am freshly grateful. I cannot imagine my life without all that He has been to me. I cannot imagine my future without Him in it, helping me to move in step with Him toward all the wonderful things He has planned. Amazing. I don’t want anyone to miss that.
How about you? Have you taken a moment lately to just sit with Him and remember? I’m sure you have as many reasons as I do to be freshly grateful. It is such a blessing to go there. I hope you will. You will be blessed. And so will He.
Power Thought:
Fresh gratitude refreshes your soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment