Thursday, February 23, 2012

Power of A Mentor


Power of A Mentor
Key Scripture: “Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.” Psalms 51:11
Power Point:
The older I get, the more I hear the word “mentor”.  It describes someone who has achieved some sort of proficiency in an area and is willing to help guide, counsel, advise, and teach someone else how to do what they themselves have learned to do.
Did you know that God likes the idea of “mentoring”? In fact, I guess you could say that it was His idea from the beginning.  Did you know that the job description of the Holy Spirit is to guide, counsel, help, advise and teach us how to become proficient in kingdom living? I love that about Him! I love that our heavenly Father knew we would need a friend and a teacher to be with us every step of the way. He never intended for us to work “life” out on our own. He’s always had a plan and that plan is a “heavenly mentor” who lives with us and in us and makes heaven real to us.
In the Old Testament King David worried about losing God’s presence. If you read all of Psalms 51 he is concentrating on his sin. He’s begging God for a cleansed heart and a new start and he’s concerned that if God doesn’t do that he won’t be privileged to be in God’s presence anymore. Wouldn’t that be an awful way to live? Wouldn't it e awful waking up every morning wondering if He would be there? I used to worry about that. What if I did something so bad that God wouldn’t want to be with me anymore?
What if I didn’t get my heart clean enough for Him to stay with me? What if He just gave up and left?
Then I really began to understand the role of Holy Spirit. He’s God with me.  Jesus’ trip to the cross-made me clean enough for God to stay with me. All the sins and the “ick” in my life could never separate me from God’s love ever again. He will never never never remove His Holy Spirit from me-or from you. That’s what Jesus died to give us- God with us, God in us, and God mentoring us.
The next time you need a little advice, how about calling on your very personal mentor?
He knows exactly what you need to do. He knows exactly how to show you how to do it. And He’s right there all the time.
Aren’t you glad that Jesus died so that God could be with you every moment and that you never have to worry about Him giving up on you and leaving? Aren’t you glad that there is nothing that God left to chance in your life? Aren’t you glad that He is just itching to show you how to find abundance for your life?
I know I am.
Power Thought: Are you Teacher's pet? Absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment