Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Power of An Overcomer


Key Scripture: "To him who overcomes I will...confess his name before My Father and before His angels."  Revelation 3:5
Power Point;
I would never have considered myself an overcomer growing up. I was much too shy. I pretty much stayed on the sidelines and let others do their thing. In fact, it was not until after Holy Spirit got a firm grasp on my backbone that I began to think there was a chance for me to live on top of my circumstances, not underneath them. I can’t remember exactly when I first realized that He had made a difference in my courage. I do remember how it felt to be faced with an insurmountable obstacle and find myself, well, “surmounting” it. I remember the thrill of finding myself on the other side of the pain or the difficulty and realizing that indeed I had begun to become an overcomer.
God knew we’d be thrilled. That’s why Jesus spent so much time encouraging us to believe God, to grow in faith, and to become more than a conqueror.  I’d have to say that it has been a joy to watch my kids, my daughter in law and my grandchildren and some of the special people in my life become overcomers too. I love watching them “get it” and then “declare it”, and see the rewards of their faith bless them.  Most of them had had serious obstacles to overcome and it has been a privilege to watch them grow in strength and power, and wisdom.
Caleb was an overcomer. When the Israelites were running backwards from the Promised Land instead of toward it, scripture says that Caleb “stilled” the people and said, “Let us go up at once and take possession, for we are well able to overcome it. And did he? Well a few verses later He gets a pretty good recommendation from the Lord who says, “but My servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully, I will bring him into the land.” And He did. An overcoming spirit is one who looks at the giants in the land and says, “Okay, let’s go. With God all things are possible.  We can do this!” And they do.
An overcomer prevails against someone or something that seems stronger than they are.
Overcomers are always moving forward not backward. They take the land even if it is an inch at a time.
Overcomers are the ones who trust that God has equipped them with promises that will give them the victory.
Overcomers are the ones who are strong and very courageous because they know that the Lord is with them wherever they go.
An overcomer is one who knows God intimately as his Father and “openly wears the dignity of the sons of God.”
God says, “He who overcomes shall inherit all things and I will be his God and he shall be My Son.” That’s a pretty good reason for hanging in there don’t you think?
Power Thought:
And this is the victory that has overcome the world-even our faith.”  I John 5:4

No comments:

Post a Comment