Friday, March 30, 2012

Power of Getting Two Cents Worth


Key Scripture:  But the Helper, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things.” John 14:26
Power Point:
There’s an old saying, “Putting in your two cents worth”. It means that someone wants to offer you advice, or perhaps you want to offer advice to someone else. Since pennies are not worth a whole lot, I guess you could say you “get what you pay for”. Do you ever find yourself in a tough situation and you can’t seem to figure your way out? What do you do first? Do you call your friends? Do you call the doctor? Do you grab a book with a title that promises to answer your question? Sometimes people will give you “free advice”. Again, you get what you pay for.
Years ago, there was a dire and difficult situation in my life. I knew enough not to tell everyone the issue because it really concerned someone else. However I did have three close friends that I asked to pray for us. One of them was eager to “give her two cents worth”.  And she did. It was awful advice! It was the direct opposite of what God had said in His word. Fortunately, we didn’t take it because God had a better idea.
The funny thing is, that she found herself in a similar situation a few years later, and I gave her the same bad advice. Why? Well, we were both looking at what we could “see” and not what God saw. We forgot that He could do the impossible. And ultimately He did.
I’ve heard people pour out a lot of advice to someone who is in a tough place but their advice may encourage someone to stay where they are, to blame the “other guy” or to look at the “what is” as if it’s what will always be.
Beloved, we have to be really careful about that don’t we?  We have to be so sure that we take that situation before the Lord first. I’m pretty sure Holy Spirit has the perfect solution to our problem. After all, He’s omniscient. I think that means He knows everything. I have been guilty at times of thinking I know everything but I have come to the great realization that I don’t and He does.
So, maybe when you have a life question that needs an answer you could ask God to put in His “two cents worth “. Trust me, you’ll get more than you paid for, because actually you’ll be getting what He has already paid for, the power of heavenly wisdom available to you 24x7 for the rest of your life. Now that’s worth the price, it's pure gold!
Power Thought:
If we abide in His Word, we shall know the truth and it will make us free. Indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment