Friday, March 16, 2012

Power of Obedience



Key Scripture:"To obey is better than sacrifice."  I Samuel 15:22
Power Thought:
Recently my grandson Ben and I were reading one of his Bible stories. It was all about the children of Israel in the Old Testament. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but they really did not obey God very often. As I read through some of their exploits, I began to wonder how on earth God had so much patience. I would have sent a little bit of hellfire and brimstone their way a little more often.  (Sorry, I am a work in progress.)

Kim, my daughter-in-law came across this nifty little saying:
   How do we obey?
   All the way,
   Right away
   In a happy way.
Now, let me say this about that. Obedience is really important.  Really. And I think this little saying is very good but I’m also glad that God is patient with us and gives us time to get in step with Him. I think, because of Who He is, that He gives us grace to learn things at a slower pace than the people around us think we should. It’s like the child learning to read who hasn’t learned all the words yet. He wants us to learn to “read” at our own pace and doesn’t condemn us if we don’t get all the words right the first time we try.  Obedience is a good thing but obedience from a heart that knows Who they are obeying is really important. If we only obey because we think we’ll be crushed if we don’t, that doesn’t give us the blessing of finding out more about the One we should obey. Love for Him causes the desire to be obedient to come from a heart that does not want to disappoint Him.
So-should we obey ALL the way? Yes. Right away? Well, sooner than later is probably better. And In a happy way? That’s the goal isn’t it. We obey because God has asked us to do something that will lead us to blessing Him, and give us more of everything that Jesus died to give us. He doesn’t want us to miss one tiny detail of kingdom life.  
Your happiness means everything to Him. He’s already shown that hasn’t He? He doesn't give us commandments because He's bored and is trying to think up things to keep us busy. He gives us guidance that guides us to a "whole" life with Him. I think God loves happy obedience best of all because it means we're obeying for the right reasons. We know Him. We love Him and we trust Him.
Power Thought:
If you know Him, you will love Him.  If you love Him, you will trust Him. If you trust Him, you will obey Him.




No comments:

Post a Comment